SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] select ATA_SFF
Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:

>>> Supposed to be TF interface. IIRC, the SFF term was first from Alan
>>> although it's entirely possible that I misunderstood it and used it
>>> in the wrong way. Alan, can you please clear up the confusion?
>
>> The SFF/Intel spec is for PCI IDE (BMDMA or otherwise), so it covers and
>> defines all the common bits of the IDE interface on PCI (and in defining
>> the legacy interface conveniently documents the extended ST-412 interface
>> used by ATA and "pre-ATA" IDE/EIDE controllers).
>
> If you mean SFF-8038i (which can indeed be named "SFF/Intel"), it
> documents *only* BMDMA. If you mean something else, please be more
> precise.
..

The "Intel PCI IDE Controller Specification Revision 1.0 3/4/94" doesn't mention
bmdma at all, but does document the taskfile register addresses.
It defers to ATA-1 for actual taskfile descriptions/functionality, though.

There's nothing particularly bad about the current naming we use, though.

Cheers

  Last update: 2008-04-24 14:53    [W:1.734 / U:2.088 seconds]