SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] select ATA_SFF
Mark Lord wrote:

>>> The SFF/Intel spec is for PCI IDE (BMDMA or otherwise), so it covers and
>>> defines all the common bits of the IDE interface on PCI (and in defining
>>> the legacy interface conveniently documents the extended ST-412
>>> interface
>>> used by ATA and "pre-ATA" IDE/EIDE controllers).

>> If you mean SFF-8038i (which can indeed be named "SFF/Intel"), it
>> documents *only* BMDMA. If you mean something else, please be more
>> precise.

> ..

> The "Intel PCI IDE Controller Specification Revision 1.0 3/4/94" doesn't

This is not an SFF spec.

> mention
> bmdma at all, but does document the taskfile register addresses.
> It defers to ATA-1 for actual taskfile descriptions/functionality, though.

Yes, it only describes deviation from "historical" IDE, i.e. the missing
drive address register (port 0x3[7F]7).

> There's nothing particularly bad about the current naming we use, though.

There wouldn't have been anything bad if that file wasn't covering both
taskfile and BMDMA stuff. This way, it looks misleading (at least for me).

> Cheers

WBR, Sergei

  Last update: 2008-04-24 15:03    [W:0.136 / U:0.716 seconds]