SubjectRe: Voyager phys_cpu_present_map compile error

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>
>> sure - but no need to be rude and mark it BROKEN when we've got this much
>> better tool named "email". BROKEN is really just for cases where there's
>> no-one willing to fix things.
>
> I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to avoid putting an
> unnecessary burden on testers and just let Kconfig know not to pick
> this particular random path. Obviously, Kconfig doesn't care, but
> it's clear BROKEN has negative associations; besides, it really is
> unnecessarily strong.
>
> Perhaps what we need is NORAND?

yep, i was thinking about CONFIG_BROKEN2 already :-)

then i came up with: CONFIG_NON_GENERIC. All code that can break a
normal bootup should be marked with that. Such as CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y
[panics on bootup] or CONFIG_EUROTECH_WDT=y [crashes on bootup] or
CONFIG_SND_MTPAV [hangs on bootup] and the dozens of other config
options i had to map when trying to bring up an allyesconfig kernel for
the first time ;-)

auto-tests could then still build-test NON_GENERIC kernels but would not
attempt to boot them up.

hm?

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-04-21 22:15    [W:0.058 / U:0.604 seconds]