SubjectRe: Voyager phys_cpu_present_map compile error
On Mon 2008-04-21 22:11:29, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
>
> > Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >>
> >> sure - but no need to be rude and mark it BROKEN when we've got this much
> >> better tool named "email". BROKEN is really just for cases where there's
> >> no-one willing to fix things.
> >
> > I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to avoid putting an
> > unnecessary burden on testers and just let Kconfig know not to pick
> > this particular random path. Obviously, Kconfig doesn't care, but
> > it's clear BROKEN has negative associations; besides, it really is
> > unnecessarily strong.
> >
> > Perhaps what we need is NORAND?
>
> yep, i was thinking about CONFIG_BROKEN2 already :-)
>
> then i came up with: CONFIG_NON_GENERIC. All code that can break a
> normal bootup should be marked with that. Such as CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y
> [panics on bootup] or CONFIG_EUROTECH_WDT=y [crashes on bootup] or
> CONFIG_SND_MTPAV [hangs on bootup] and the dozens of other config
> options i had to map when trying to bring up an allyesconfig kernel for
> the first time ;-)

You certainly have my vote here. There's really big difference between
'this breaks boot when y (NFS_ROOT)' and 'this is mostly harmless when
y (any sane driver)'.

Actually in nfsroot case, we should probably fix the code so that it
is a nop w/out commandline option.

Pavel

  Last update: 2008-04-23 15:51    [W:0.104 / U:0.060 seconds]