SubjectRe: max_pfn: Uninitialized, or Deprecated?
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:
> Once upon a time, the global max_pfn value was set up as part of
> bootmem_init(), but this seems to have been dropped in favor of
> establishing max_low_pfn, I suppose to be clear that it's the max
> non-highmem PFN. However, the global max_pfn gets used in
> the MIPS APRP support code, and also in places like
> block/blk-settings.c. Is the use of max_pfn supposed to be
> deprecated, such that we consider blk-settings.c to be broken
> and change arch/mips/kernel/vpe.c to use max_low_pfn, or
> ought we assign max_pfn = max_low_pfn in bootmem_init()?

I noticed this too when investigating why initrds no longer worked on
m68k (Fix in http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/12/23/36, still not in mainline).

Apparently a value of max_pfn = 0 is OK, as several architectures
(including MIPS and m68k) don't touch it?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2008-04-02 09:19    [W:0.027 / U:0.084 seconds]