SubjectCompiling a small kernel on Ubuntu
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to learn how linux scheduler is implemented. As a result, I wanted to compile and run linux kernel from its source code. That way I can assure that I have a working base to play around. I started by following this article:
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

I managed to complete the given instructions and change Grub to display a new entry to select the newly compiled kernel. However, it falls over while trying to load (unable to handle kernel paging request). My gut feeling says I've missed something in the kernel configuration step. Can someone please tell me the basic set of options required for a kernel to get the following system up and running?

Machine: IBM thinkpad t42
CPU: Intel Centrino Mobile 32bit
RAM: 1 GB
Hard Disk: 40GB IDE

Also is there a guide for kernel debugging? Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Buddhike

  Last update: 2008-11-07 06:19    [W:0.034 / U:0.256 seconds]