SubjectRe: [linux-pm] community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP [Was: Re: So, what's the status on the recent patches here?]
Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> operating points it is possible to implement the "cpufreq frequency
>> selection logic" in user space and having such functionality in the kernel
>> just violates the main rule of having everything possible outside of the
>> kernel.
>
> You got the rules wrong. "Keep the code out of kernel" is important
> rule, but probably not the main one.
funny. not to mention that it was not the only argument I presented but please
tell us explicitly what's your reason to blow out kernel footprint by the code
which can be handled outside the kernel. I'd prefer to see technical reasons a
kind of latencies, etc but not the constant refrain "don't touch cpufreq
interface". Especially considering that proposed improvements _do_ _not_
_change_ the interface.

And just FYI kernel footprint was stated as one of main current issues at least
on the last OLS.

>> Paval, plz NOTE, that you don't have lkml in CC on this thread and I
>> personally feel that you've brought a really terrible confusion to everyone
>> with your lkml step. I'm wondering whether you are braking "no cross
>> postings" rule as well.....
>
> Cc-ing lkml is considered okay.
>
> Anyway, please do _proper_ submission,
I already did _proper_ submissions several time on IMO the _proper_ list.
>cc-ing lkml, explaining why it
> is needed so that me and lkml actually know what is going on.
will do

Eugeny
>Include
> those "elevator pitches".
> Pavel

  Last update: 2006-09-14 12:49    [W:2.414 / U:0.016 seconds]