SubjectRe: [BUG] NFS with multiple clients connected
Trond Myklebust wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 18:15 +0300, Razvan Gavril wrote:
>> I have a nfs server(kernel-server) which i use as a boot server for
>> several other machines on the network. Starting with 2.6.16 i started
>> noticing that when having more than one of the clients doing a lot of
>> in/out on their mounted nfs shares at list one of then starts to to have
>> problems when writing (don't know about reading) files. For example dpkg
>> writes strange things it the /var/lib/dpkg/status file even if it worked
>> perfectly before the kernel upgrade.
>>
>> Every time an diskless computer fails to write corectly to the nfs
>> filesystem i got this messages on the nfs server (dmesg):
>>
>> RPC: bad TCP reclen 0x3c390000 (large)
>> RPC: bad TCP reclen 0x31006261 (non-terminal)
>> RPC: bad TCP reclen 0x73752070 (non-terminal)
>> RPC: bad TCP reclen 0x52610100 (non-terminal)
>>
>> Is very simple to spot this behaver (1 write-error for client / 1 rpc
>> message in server's dmesg) because apt-get is always giving an error
>> message when the /var/lib/dpkg/status file contains something that it
>> shouldn't. An it also can be very ease to reproduce.
>>
>> I tested with 2.6.17 and got the same error, although when using 2.6.15
>> didn't got any errors and the clients worked perfect. Since i'm kind of
>> forced to use a kernel version > 2.6.15 i really, really need to solve
>> this bug. I would be glad to do it myself but i don't have the knowledge
>> to do it so if is anybody that can help i can offer all the information
>> that i could and also access to a system so he can track the problem.
>>

>> --
>> Razvan Gavril
>
> Did the problem start when you upgraded the clients or the server?
>
> Cheers,
> Trond

For now i only tested like this :

Server Clients State
-----------------------------------
2.6.15 2.6.15 Works
2.6.16 2.6.16 Fails
2.6.17 2.6.16 Fails
2.6.17 2.6.17 Fails

I did some more testing, i created a script that copies the files from a
nfs share to another/same nfs share then checks the md5sums of the
source and destination file, to my big surprise it worked ok. I did the
test with relative small files (/lib) then with big files (dvds, avi) also.

The problem appears only when 2 diskless computers run apt-get in
parallel so i suspect something related to bad file descriptors(?)
,maybe apt is reading / writing / moving it's status files too quick. I
can reproduce the problem in 20-30 seconds if i let more that 2 diskless
computers run apt-get in parallel. I need to mention that the two
diskless computers use completely different shares so there is no race
condition in apt involved.

--
Razvan Gavril