SubjectVIA Velocity massive memory corruption with jumbo frames
I just bought a stack of Via Velocity network cards to upgrade my
network. I also purchased a Netgear GS-108 Gigabit switch which has
supports for jumbo frames. When I tried increasing the MTU to 9000 I
started getting massive memory corruption. Some of the symptoms were:
programs failing to load, random oopses, VT freezes, machine freezes,
filesystem corruption, etc. It only happened when the machine was
receiving network traffic. The RX count would not advance either for
that interface.

I tried on another machine and got the same thing. I even set up a
fresh install of Linux with the latest kernel on a test box and got the
same. Dual booting to Windows on that box works perfect with jumbo
frames as well as the other two Windows machines on the network with the
same type of card. I tried three Linux boxes with the same results.
Each box has different hardware and configurations. The original
machine I tried it on is a dual P3-833 machine running 2.6.10 while the
test box is a Celeron 800 with a clean install of 2.6.15.4.

I also tried an MTU of 3000 instead of 9000 and got the same thing.

Anyone know what I should try next?

  Last update: 2006-02-25 07:45    [W:0.037 / U:0.020 seconds]