SubjectRE: Maximum frequency of re-scheduling (minimum time quantum) que stio n
At 10:18 AM 7/5/2004 -0400, Povolotsky, Alexander wrote:

>Mike - the part of my original question was - what is the minimum "measure"
>(in time ticks or is fraction of the time tick ?) of that "(almost) any time
>? In another words, assuming what is the latency between the moment, when
>the higher priority process (or thread ) is becoming available to run (and
>assuming that "schedule()" system call is not explicitly called at that time
>...)and the moment when the scheduler STARTS (I am not including context
>switch time into the question here) the process of preemtion (start of the
>context switch). Is this time settable (at compile time ) ?

Ah, you want wakeup latency numbers. Sorry, I don't have any. I believe
Andrew and Davide both wrote tools for measuring in the wild, a search of
the archives should turn up something that will give you the numbers you're
looking for.

If I'm understanding your question, no, there is no latency guarantee.

> >If you're looking for an interface into the scheduler that allows you to
> >twiddle slice length
>
>you mean at the run time (vs compile time), I assume ?

Yes.

-Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.021 / U:2.064 seconds]