Subjectaditional parallel port problems
Hi everybody!

Firstable, I have to say that my problem is a
Hardware problem, so, if you think this is not the
proper forum,tell me please.

My situation is like this: I have a "hand-made"
circuit that works with the orders of a parallel port
from PC. With this orders, the circuit turn on/off
several devices connected to it.

I work with a PC with Suse9.0 (kernel
2.4.21-226-default) with an aditional parallel port in
a PCI Multio I/O card with NM9835CV chip.

Besides, I have a C program that send (outb, iopl,
ioperm...)the orders to the address of the parallel
port I say.

My problem is: when I run this C program with the
motherboard paralell port (lp0) the circuit works
properly. But, it doesnt work with the aditional
parallel port of the card (lp1)

I write in this list because I have changed de
operating system some days ago. I had RedHat6.2
(kernel 2.2) and everything worked perfectly with the
same card. I have bought other cards but nothing.

I have seen some things:

1. With de PC TURNED ON and TURNED OFF, if I conect
the circuit with the motherboard parallel port (lp0)
some devices turn on and other turn off. But when if
connect the circuit with the parallel port of the card
(lp1) different devices turn on/off. All of this
happens without executing eny program, only connecting
the ports and the circuit with a bus.
It seems to be the internal circuits of eacb port.
Could it be the cause that nothing works? in this
case...how can I change that?

2. The card is "Multi-mode (SPP, EPP, ECP, PS2)". Is
possible that the circuit only works with SPP mode. I
can change the motherboard parallel port mode (with
BIOS) but , how can I change the parallel port mode of
the card?

3. Before all this, I have tested the parallel port
address of the card and the irq of the slot and I have
added to /etc/modules.conf the line:
"options parport_pc io=0x378,0x8800 irq=7,5"
Later, I have connected a printer to the
pararallel port of the card and it prints right.
Could the printer force the parallel port of the
card to change its own mode to ECP or EPP? If I
connect a SPP device, could it force that port to
change its mode to SPP and everything works?

4. I have changed the slot of the card and nothing
happens.

5. The command "dmesg | grep parport" displays:

"parport0: PC-style at 0x378 irq 7 [PCSPP,
TRISTATE, EPP]" (Is this line telling me the mode of
the parallel port?? in this case...what does it mean?)
"parport1: PC-style at 0x8800 irq 5 [PCSPP,
TRISTATE, EPP]"
"lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven)"
"lp1: using parport1 (polling)"

6. I have seen in this mailing list an email about
two patches (00_parport and 01_netmos) to work with
this kind of chips. I have never installed patches and
I dont find help about it. I am not so sure that this
patches are the solution of my problem

This is the end of my "little" email.
Thank you very much!!

Eva