SubjectWINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Just out of interest - how many legacy apps are broken by this? I assume
> it's a non-zero number, but wouldn't mind to be happily surprised.

Wine depends upon being able to execute code on the heap, and there are
probably Windows EXEs that depend upon being able to execute code on the
stack.

Fedore Code 1's exec-shield patch broke Wine badly, as there was no way
for an application to turn it off from user space, and Wine depended
upon certain areas of virtual memory being free.

We developed a hack to work around this problem by creating a staticly
linked binary to reserve memory then load ld-linux.so.2 and a
dynamically executable into memory manually and run start them.

So, just to confirm, an executable will be able to be built so that it
can request an executable stack and heap using PT_GNU_STACK or something
like that, right?

thanks,

Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.093 / U:0.152 seconds]