SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.9 pktgen module causes INIT process respawning and sickness
Jeff,

At 04:06 AM 23/11/2004, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>I've studied these types of problems for years, and I think it's possible
>even for Linux.

so you have the source code --if its such a big deal for you, how about you
contribute the work to make this possible ?

the fact is, large-packet-per-second generation fits into two categories:
(a) script kiddies / haxors who are interested in building DoS tools
(b) folks that spend too much time benchmarking.

for the (b) case, typically the PPS-generation is only part of it. getting
meaningful statistics on reordering (if any) as well as accurate latency
and ideally real-world traffic flows is important. there are specialized
tools out there to do this: Spirent, Ixia, Agilent et al make them.

>[..]
>I see no other way for OS to sustain high packet loading about 500,000
>packets per second on Linux
>or even come close to dealing with small packets or full 10 gigabite
>ethernet without such a model.

10GbE NICs are an entirely different beast from 1GbE.
as you pointed out, with real-world packet sizes today, one can sustain
wire-rate 1GbE today (same holds true for 2Gbps Fibre Channel also).

i wouldn't call pushing minimum-packet-size @ 1GbE (which is 46 payload, 72
bytes on the wire btw) "real world". and its 1.488M packets/second.

>The bus speeds are actually fine for dealing with this on current hardware.

its fine when you have meaningful interrupt coalescing going on & large
packets to DMA.
it fails when you have inefficient DMA (small) with the overhead of setting
up & tearing down the DMA and associated arbitration overhead.

cheers,

lincoln.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.061 / U:0.312 seconds]