Subjectdialectical deprecation Re: cdrecord hangs my computer
Martin J. Bligh wrote:

>>In contrast, the old cdrecord interfaces are an UNBELIEVABLE PILE OF CRAP!
>>It's an interface that is based on some random hardware layout mechanism
>>that isn't even TRUE any more, and hasn't been true for a long time. It's
>>not helpful to the user, and it doesn't match how devices are accessed by
>>everything else on the system.
>>
>>It's bad from a technical standpoint (anybody who names a generic device
>>with a flat namespace is just basically clueless), and it's bad from a
>>usability standpoint. It has _zero_ redeeming qualities.
>>

>I think the appropriate phrase is "user malevolent" software. Making
>the user interface fit some arcane technica rather than the user is
>rather tragic. Reality is quite complicated enough as it is, without
>deliberately setting out to make it more so.
>
>M.

Today I realize that it's not double deprecation, it's dialectical
deprecation, for a user who gets caught between the deprecation
of ide-scsi and cdrecord targbuslun "flat" naming and then the
cdrecord error message when trying to use a full devpath. The
user's head is volleyed back and forth as cdrecord maintains
its "denial".

cdrecord whines about the full devpath in the first instance,
will not work if I use 1,0,0 in both places, but seems to
catch a clue about the devpath stub from the first instance
in order to use its 1,0,0 nomenclature below that.

#/etc/default/cdrecord
CDR_DEVICE=ATAPI:/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
#ATAPI:1,0,0 won't work in CDR_DEVICE, but...
yamaha= ATAPI:1,0,0 -1 -1 ""

I'm scared(under-informed) to drop ide-scsi since
I'm using 3ware and don't know if just scsi-generic
would be enough for that hd controller(needs ide-scsi?
3ware's site doc is not easy to find).

-Bob

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.120 / U:1.080 seconds]