SubjectRe: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right
Joseph Pingenot wrote:
> From Theodore Ts'o on Wednesday, 29 October, 2003:
>
>>Keep in mind that just because Windows does thing a certain way
>>doesn't mean we have to provide the same functionality in exactly the
>>same way.
>>Also keep in mind that Microsoft very deliberately blurs what they do
>>in their "kernel" versus what they provide via system libraries (i.e.,
>>API's provided via their DLL's, or shared libraries).
>
> Indeed, although certain things could be half-kernel, half-user
> (OK, 0.01% kernel, 99.99% user, e.g. userspace daemon that
> intercepts certain writes). Of course, at that point, you might
> make a special library to interact with the daemon directly, although
> it's then not at all like just calling write().

I beleive this is 100% user space issue.

And I think if one really want to do something like this - Gnome's
VFS is a good candidate for this. They already have all abstractions in
place.

[ Yes, sure I'm not using gnome by myself - but knowing nature of the
prokect I bet they already started doing something like this ;-))) Ashes
to ashes, dust to dust - bloat to bloat. ]

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.