SubjectRe: ReiserFS causing kernel panic?
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau wrote:

> Hans Reiser wrote:
>
>> reiserfs is not warranted to work on corrupted hdds.....
>

> Is there any kind of error statistics for hard drives?
>
> Geometry is known.
> I suspect that structure of damages, caused by contact of plates
> surface with head, can be classified.

> It may be possible to classify manufacturing glitches. I think HD
> producers have this kind of classification/statistics - to improve
> quality, keeping price low.
>
> Actually what I'm thinking of: some kind of design rules for file
> systems, how to minimize crashing due to hdd glitches.
> Let's say, if some of hdd regions are know to be more error prone -
> desing fs to use those regions less.
> If hdd damages used to have some specific structure - design file
> system to keep renundant data in regions which are less likely to be
> lost both at the same time. So renundancy would make sense.
>
> Is there any thing like this?
>
> Or file systems now do outlive hard drives?-)

Block allocation policies affect performance a lot, and keeping them
simple is important. I would however be interested in knowing what
the distribution function for errors by geometry is. If it turned out
that, say, errors were higher at the platter edges, I could make some
format changes....

I think that for users it is best to think about how to mask drive
errors in the device layer or the device using RAID and mirroring.

--
Hans