SubjectEthernet speed problems
I have two .config files. One I have developed from scratch and is used
on a Debian server at work. The other is more or less a stock kernel
built by Gentoo 1.4, but with some hardware support removed.

These two .config files have been causing me a lot of grief lately. I
can compile the same 2.4.22 source tree and simply change the .config
file and hardware support becomes more than binary. The Debian-born
kernel has support for the ethernet card (RTL8139C) but when tested, it
only operates at around 10Mbps, even though the network is running at
100. mii-tool reports it to be running at 100Mbps FD but in reality this
is not the case. The Gentoo-born kernel has no problems and runs at a
true 100Mbps. After checking through the syslog whilst using the
Debian-born kernel, I see no error messages relating to this problem.

The obvious thing to do would be to start with the Gentoo-born .config
file and modify as required so as to add in the required hardware
support that the Debian-born .config file has. However, something in the
Gentoo-born .config file has been set that prevents PPP Filtering from
being set. It's just not an option whilst running make menuconfig.

Can anybody think of any reason why an ethernet card might work at a
slower speed with one kernel than it does with another?

What about the PPP-Filtering support? Where is this being disabled
during the make menuconfig?

Please CC me with any replies

Thanks in advance
Richard Greaney

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.027 / U:0.088 seconds]