Subjectkernel image (linux vs linux-up)
Hi,

I installed RedHat 6.2 on my PC today -- On booting,
at the lilo: prompt, I noticed that it showed 2
kernels:
1) linux *
2) linux-up.

When i looked up the /etc/lilo.conf file, it showed
linux (the default) having an image with .smp as
extension, whereas linux-up seemed to be the regular
image.

I tried make config/dep/clean/zImage when running the
default (smp) kernel, and make zImage failed with
errors (primarily "undefined variable..smp_num_cpus"
.. I tried the same while running linux-up, and
everything went hunky-dory...

A few days ago, I had installed the same version of
RedHat on my laptop, and I did not get any smp kernel.
My PC has only one processor, so I wonder why it got
created in the first place .. it would be simply great
if someone could explain...

Thanks!
Mahesh.