SubjectPATCH: PnP detection in serial.c (updated)
Date
Hello,

This is an update to my "quick hack of sorts" to the serial driver to
support PnP modem autodetection. It still only detects my serial card
(although others have expressed interest-- I don't know if this will be
accepted, it could be a waste of my time. I don't know. If you want it to
detect your modem, either make a patch or mail me your /proc/isapnp and
/proc/pci files.) but now it has been tested to work in combionation with
built-in serial ports. The device probe order is:

probe -> pci -> isapnp

although I could put up a reasonable argument to change that, it won't do me
any good until I get some feedback from the maintainer... whoever that is.

This patch is actually complete, and it cleans some things up and makes it
easier to tell the difference between PnP/PCI/etc and probed serial boards.

Known problems:

Some comments are misleading
It does not limit the user to 8 PnP boards as advertised.
It only works for my modem (I don't know the generic 'PNP'
class info)
It may have some really blantant stupidities inside

The pnp resource configuration routines actually do figure out about shared
IRQs... I don't know how. But it does seem to work for me. (I'm using it now
with three boards, the modem is on one with the shared IRQ)

Minor limitation: we are adding PnP devices based on an arbitrary order. It
may be smarter to add cards in bus order. (we would have to bypass the find
card routines and whatnot and I didn't feel that that was necessary for
sample code)

Please try this out (don't forget to add your modem to serial.c or mail me
your info...) and let me know. I'd like to roll this (or code like this)
into the "real" serial driver someday, but it probably won't go in in its
present state. (See the limitations, above.) But I would like to know what
needs to be done to get it in in some form.

Later,

Joe Pranevich