SubjectSerial proxy driver help...
I wrote a while back about creating a driver for the kernel which
would take the incoming data from one serial port (a null modem)
and output it to another serial port (a modem), and vice versa.

Some people responded that such would be easy to do, but that it
could be done in userland. Well I have researched it and am
still not sure how to proceed. I would like to try both a kernel
level approach, and a userland approach as well. It is important
that the transfers have low latency between the two serial ports.

Can someone help me out with this?

I'm looking for help with both the userland implementation and
the kernel level one.

Basically, the driver or daemon, etc.. has to start up (at module
load time, or at daemon startup time) and open two serial ports
for read/write. The modem, and another serial port - which has a
null modem connected. Then it is to sit there and any data
coming through the null modem is sent to the modem, any data
coming from the modem is sent to the null modem. If any
buffering of data is needed to be done, it must be small to make
latency as unnoticeable as possible.

I'd like it to work with any modem speed (300bps-56k), and with
the null modem at any speed as well - as long as the null modem
speed is greater than the modem's speed of course.

If anyone is interested in the usefullness of this project,
contact me directly. The reason is that I think many people are
going to offer alternative solutions via networking or some other
solution and I am not interested in any other solution as it will
not work for my purposes. So, only respond if you have an idea
how to implement what I'm asking for - do not respond with
alternative suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

Ya dee buckity, rum ting tee toooo, mi - mi - mi, yaaooooooo....
(King Otto)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.643 / U:0.904 seconds]