Subjecthow to log kernel oops message and how to submit a problem?
Date
Hi all,

I have been experiencing kernel crashes (oops) with 2.2.10, 11, and 12. I
believe that 2.2.9 is ok. Obviously I would like to do what I can to help
the kernel team fix this problem. My system is a reasonably normal Pentium
II system. It is SMP and mostly SCSI, though. So, what do I need to do?

I read through the Documentation/oops-tracing.txt file but the biggest
problem is that the oops messages are not showing up in my log files. I'm
hesitant to write down the whole message unless I am sure it will help
someone.

I believe the problem is a combination of SCSI and SMP. The reason I say
this is because I have heard of one other individual with a SCSI and SMP
system with similar problem. Likewise if it was just normal SCSI then I
think that many people would have experienced it by now. The other reason I
think it is SCSI related is that sometimes a number of SCSI error message do
show up in the log files prior to the crash (I'm at work at the moment and
don't have those logs with me but I can submit them later if that would
help.). Also, if the problem is SCSI related that could explain why the oops
can't write to the log files, because the SCSI is already dead.

I have reported the SCSI problems to the AIC-7xxx SCSI maintainer but I
haven't heard anything back in a few weeks. How should I proceed? One thing
I have considered is changing my system so that it writes the logs to an IDE
drive. Hopefully I could then capture the oops output.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Rainer

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.193 / U:0.876 seconds]