SubjectRe: initrd problems on 'big memory' system?
Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> Can anyone tell me *why* the ramdisk image was being overwritten? I don't
> really need to use an initrd setup (at least, not right now), but I'd like
> to know why it doesn't work.

Apparently the initial allocations for memory maps and such (done before
accessing initrd) get too big if you have lots of physical memory. LILO
can't load things above 16 MB due to restrictions of BIOS INT 0x15.

A solution would be for LILO to switch between 16-bit and 32-bit mode
without using the BIOS. However, this may confuse the BIOS and lead to
crashes. Another possibility would be to move initrd from < 16 MB to
the top of physical memory before starting any allocations.

It's in my to do queue, but has plenty of more urgent things piled on
top of it, sorry.

- Werner