SubjectRe: kernel thread support - LWP's
: Richard Gooch wrote:
: > Yes, you could use process groups to emulate POSIX thread killing
: > semantics, but that requires your "heavyweight process" to switch to a
: > new process group. That might not always be what you want (and may
: > possibly violate POSIX). So I'd be happier if we could find some clean
: > and lightweight way of adding a new grouping mechanism so we can
: > properly support POSIX thread killing semantics *and* not interfere
: > with process groups.
:
: If I type ^C after "this | that | other" I expect it to kill all the
: threads in all the processes... not just all the threads in one of the
: processes.
:
: Looks like an argument for another kind of process group, rather than
: eliminating process ids for individual threads.

But it will do exactly what you want without you doing a thing. When the
shell creates a piple line like that, _all_ of the processes are placed
in the same process group - that's how it's always worked. If each of
those processes then cloned themselves, they would still all be in the
same process group. So your ^C would do the right thing. The programs
would have to take explicit action to break that semantic and if they
did, they probably know what they are doing.

As far as I can see, certainly in this example, there is no need for a new
kind of process group. We may decide we want one some day but so far, the
existing one works.

: Larry's given a very nice set of reasons why different ids for different
: threads is useful.

Thanks...

--lm

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.368 / U:0.284 seconds]