SubjectRE: i386/RTC: old problem, new solution?
Date
	>I think you were assuming that the routines to determine the DST
dates
>would need to be in the kernel as well, and I'd agree that suchlike
>routines would be far too much kernel bloat, but they're not needed
>for the purposes stated, as the above will achieve the same
purpose.

I would be worried about situations where these values are specified in LILO
for unattended boot. Systems don't change their time zone very often, so
RTCTZ would be OK, but one of Linux's strength is that you can put it in a
lights-out environment. When it reboots, it has to have the correct time.
I don't know how many RTC chips provide a "DST in use" flag. It would be a
shame for the time to be fixed up correctly by user space code when DST
kicks in, only to be messed up by an hour a week later when the power fails.

Maybe it's possible for the user-space code to be made aware of the
possibility of these flags having possibly messed up, but you'd have to
avoid situations such as some versions of Windows have, where people working
late on DST changeover night (especially those booting multiple Windows
versions) find their clock changed multiple times.

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)int)