SubjectSevere file system corruption with 2.2.3 and SCSI
Folks,
I have experienced 2 crashes close together on 2.2.3 SMP. I am
using SCSI and IDE disks. On reboot fsck reports that the filesystems on
the SCSI disk are corrupt. Running fsck results in an unrecoverable
error. I have lost my /usr and /home partitions twice in a row. fsck
reports:

Error reading block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem) while doing inode scan.
Ignore error<y>?

I choose y (I have no choice - n doesn't fix anything). Then fsck tells me:

Error reading block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem) while reading inode and
block bitmaps. Ignore error<y>?

Again I choose y. Then fsck floods the screen with numbers strung
together in a mess. After this fsck reports:

Error writing block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem) while writing bitmaps.
Ignore error<y>?

Again I choose y. Then:

Error writing block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem). Ignore error<y>?

I choose y. Finally:

Error reading block xxxxxx (Read-only filesystem) while reading indirect
blocks if inode xxx. Ignore error<y>?

I again choose y. Now my filesystem is gone and placed in lost+found.
When the system crashed the second time I did an emergency sync with the
SysRq key. Still resulted in severe corruption. These errors are only
happening on my SCSI disk. It is a Quantum Atlas. I have checked
termination and cabling. I hope it is something as simple as bad
termination, but this started happening with 2.2.3 so I think it is a
kernel issue. I have backpedaled to 2.2.1 and mounted /usr as read-only
for now. I think the SCSI code or the inode stuff is getting severely
messed up somehow. This may sound sadistic but I hope others are having
similar problems so it can be worked out. I am tired of rebuilding
everything.

Let me know what I can do. I am still looking through the logs for
anything pertinent.

James Rich
james@dansfoods.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.108 / U:0.204 seconds]