SubjectNetscape
In article <Pine.GSO.4.04.9903201453030.17359-100000@brick.ens.fr> you write:

Framebuffer, that is. Try vesafb, or look at http://www.ggi-project.org/.

> 2 We perhaps could try to support VESA video mode changes using
> virtual-8086. This would take care of weirdo (read here: laptop)
> chipsets.

Vesafb is somehow doing this. It is not really usefull to switch between
several video modes, however it seems to fun. This feature actually
exists in FreeBSD. A bit dangerous if your bios is not clean, and
crude, but effective.

You might just want to use dosemu: run dosemu, with granted access to
the video ports, use your favorite vesa bios or msdos-tsr, and go into
the wanted mode. You will need to hack a little the kernel, so that
vesafb understand this operation.

By the way, the dosemu source should be a good documentation for vm86().

> 3 The kernel should detect that an application causes more than what is
> reasonable in swapping and kil that application.

Userland stuff. Run the killer daemon with SCHED_RR or SCHED_FIFO
priority, all pages locked in memory with mlockall(). Use /proc/*/stat*
to detect bad guys, zap them, have no mercy.

--Thomas Pornin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.029 / U:0.372 seconds]