SubjectRe: kernel: SMBFS: need mount version 6
Date
Claudiu Bosioc enscribed thusly:

> hi,

> I'm using kernel 2.2.3 and when I try to smbmount a shared
> directory from a win95 machine I get an error message like this:

> --
> [root@router /mnt]# smbmount //S5/CBO 1 -c router
> Password:
> SMBFS: need mount version 6
> mount error: Invalid argument
> Please look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons
> --

> could someone explain me why is this happening?
> what is with this sixth version of mount?
> with kernel 2.0.36 I did not have any problem
> I use smbfs 2.0.1-4

The new kernels require a totally new smbmount program. The
old smbmount program came with the separate smbfs package, which is
no longer maintained. The smbfs module is now part of the kernel
and the smbmount program is part of the Samba package.

Get the latest Samba package (currently Samba 2.0.3) from samba.org.

Unpack Samba and run configure with the "--with-smbmount" option.

Build and install samba, and you will then have the new smbmount
program.

Note: The syntax to smbmount has changed. Check the man pages
carefully!

> thanks in advance,
> regards,
> Claudiu Bosioc