SubjectRe: FAT32: Invalid FSINFO signature on mount?

I've had the same problem. I've asked the maintainer (there IS one listed
in the MAINTAINERS file) and he doesn't have the time to fix it right now.
Also, I have not been able to find any information on this type of
partition. Not Microsoft, not PowerQuest (the people that make partition
magic), not half a dozen other people who'd think would know a lot about FAT32.

What I need to do is to look at the drive structure and see what the
differences are between a standard partition and one of these partions
with a different signature. BTW, I submitted a patch that at least
gave a more intelligent error and set the system in read only mode
when it saw these problems.

Let me know a little bit about the size of your partition/drive, etc.
I believe this to be an issue on _partitions_ larger than 8gigs. But,
I have only my system and a few random reports to go on. The more
information I have the more likely I'll be able to figure out the problem.
I may need you to do a dump of portions of your disk once I figure out
what information I need. That way I'll be able to 'verify' any changes.
You should be able to READ from the drive, but not write to it.

Thanks,
Max
mcohan@adnc.net

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 11:06:23PM +0000, nev99@cwcom.net wrote:

> I am trying to get some help I am having using my hard disk under linux, and I think
> it is in a part of the system that you maintain. The problem is mounting my FAT32
> hard disk under linux. This disk is also my Windows 95 boot disk. The error I get
> is:
>
> fat_read_super: Did not find valid FSINFO signature, found 0x534f4453 offset = 0x1e0
>

> The result is a mounted volume that can be read ok but appears full (which it isn't)
> files are created empty sometimes, and df reports the space used equal to space existing.
>

> I discovered it using the ZipSlack distribution which runs on a UMSDOS directory
> on my Windows 95 C: boot disk.
>
> I have repeated the problem using a the tomsrtbt floppy distribution of linux and
> mounting the volume as an msdos partition by typing as root:
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /mnt
>
> Both use systems use kernel 2.0.36
>
> I have looked in the newsgroups, and found that a number of other people have the
> same problem, but there are no answers to be found!
>
> I have tried to understand the source in Kernel 2.2, I have found where the error
> message is generated linux/fs/fat/misc.c but there is no maintainer listed for this
> code or for the msdos file system code.
>
> However, knowing that amagic number on my hard drive is different from what someone
> thought it should be in 1993 hasn't helped much here! I have also checked the disk
> with Windows Scandisk which reported no errors.
>
> Please can someone mail me with the correct maintainer to ask this question to directly,
> if you cannot assist me in resolving it.
>
> Many thanks for your assistance.
>
> Neville.
> nev99@cwcom.net
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.052 / U:0.248 seconds]