SubjectRe: performance drop with BX mainboard and > 1024 MB
From
Hi Keith,

excuse me, that I am not up to date concerning my information - but there is the
AMD-K6, the Cyrix M2, the IDT, the PA-RISC, the ..., the ... and for sure the xyz ...
processor (and so on ) rarely new.
For sure, I can learn everything about them, but when should I went to bed, ... no,
just kidding.
It was a suggestion of mine - I heard of some "problems" the PII may have, but
information about processor-types and their features is a lot of stuff.So far and
greetings, Dietmar

> And lo, Dietmar Stein saith unto me:
> >
> > I think it' s a problem/feature concerning the board. Some time ago Asus has build
> > boards which weren't able tu support more than 64 MB RAM without loss of
> > performance.
> AFAIK the Pentium II chips can only cache 512 MB.
>
> > That time you had to add a chip, the so called TAGRAM, to make the board cache
> > RAM more than 64 MB. I think the problem still remains on your Soyo-Board. Have a
> > look at the documentation and look for "cacheable size of memory" or something
> > similar. If it is limited, the board can't cache the whole RAM and will disable
> > caching.
> The Pentium Pro and Pentium II integrate the Level 2 cache (to which you
> are proposing adding tag ram) into the CPU package.
>
> > I think NT gives you always the same performance if you don't go under the minimum
> > requirements of NT....
> NT would have the same problem, unless it simply ignored the uncacheable
> memory.
>
> > > Looks like the cache is not sufficient for more then 512 MB. But Intel claims
> > > that this PII processor must be able to adress up to 4 GB RAM. And also the
> > > mainboard supports upto 1 GB.
>
> Just because it "supports" it, "addresses" it, or lets you plug it in, doesn't
> make it cacheable.
>
> Keith
>
> --
> "Well, look at that. The sun's | Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com |"Zooty,
> coming up." -- John Sheridan, | KDE: http://www.kde.org | zoot
> "Sleeping in Light", Babylon 5 | Keith: kwrohrer@enteract.com | zoot!"
> www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html | http://www.enteract.com/~kwrohrer | --Rebo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:3.322 / U:0.036 seconds]