Subjectperformance drop with BX mainboard and > 1024 MB
Date
When running Linux on a BX mainboard with 1024 MB RAM, I've encountered some
problems. I was wandering if anybody could give me more information or a
hint towards a solution of my problem. First let me explain what I've tried and
discovered.

The system we are talking about:
- SOYO mainboard SY-D6IBA with dual PII 450
- onboard AIC7880 UW-SCSI controller
- 4 * 256 MB registered SDRAM
- 17 GB IBM UW HDD
- 3COM 905TX 100 Mbit NIC

The problem we've encountered:

--The system (kernel 2.2.2) performed like a 486 with 1024 MB and L2
cache enabled, both with dual as single processor, but when we disabled the L2
cache the performance were much better. Just like running with 512MB enabled.

What we've tested:
- Dual processor with 512MB enabled: OK
- Single processor with 1024 MB: BAD
- Single with 512 MB: OK
- With 513Mb enalbled: BAD

Tested the memory modules on a Asus BX mainboard wtih 768 MB and performance
were bad (both with the PII450 as with a Celeron with 128 K cache).

Looks like the cache is not sufficient for more then 512 MB. But Intel claims
that this PII processor must be able to adress up to 4 GB RAM. And also the
mainboard supports upto 1 GB.

From another mailinglist we have heard about people that did succesfully run a
dual PII system on an BX chipset mainboard (Gigabyte: it's probally in the
name) with 1024 MB RAM.

Can anyone explain to me what is actually happening?

BTW, Windows NT runs without any problem with 1024 MB and L2 cache enabled
(...). NT really used it's memory and performance dropped a little when
disabling L2 cache (so I do not suspect funny NT trics...). This is what makes
me feel that the hardware is correct(...).

According someone from Soyo Europe we are using the latest BIOS.

Regards,