Subjectre: Subject: RH-5.2 - network not operational
Brad,

For what its worth, I had the exact same problem.

In my case, everything worked great up until the
2.2.x kernels, then everything except Networking
functioned.

Symptoms were exactly as you describe, no pings
in or out.

I ended up reinstalling 5.2, and now the 2.2.1 Kernel
works fine, go figure.

I don't think its a hardware thing, as my hardware worked
fine in 2.2.0-pre, and earlier, and now works fine in
2.2.1.

I was wondering if its an EGCS thing, I WAS using
EGCS (Jan 24th snapshot), now Im back to the GCC
that comes with RH 5.2

My hardware is:

Abit BH-6
Celeron 300A
128Mb
Adaptec 2940U
SCSI + EIDE + EIDE CDROM
Diamond Permedia 2 Video
3Com 3C905B ethernet card.

Mike

> From: Brad Larden <bsl@ausgate.cvsi.com>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have a real problem that I am stumped on.
>
> I have just done a clean install of RH-5.2 on a machine that was
> happily running an old slackware release.
> The problem is that the network appears to initialise but doesn't
> actually function properly.
>
> Basicly, I have an old machine, Cyrix 686L, 64MB memory, Adaptec
> 1542CF SCSI (disks, tape and CD hanging off it), an SMC Ultra UTP
> card and an old S3 PCI video card in the box (I have stripped other
> stuff out to try to isolate the problem).
>
> The symptoms are that I cannot ping out or into the machine. It will
> ping the local address but that means little as it doesn't actually
> go out of the card. The hardware is all OK - I have checked the SMC
> card in DOS mode and also changed the UTP cable.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.017 / U:1.312 seconds]