Subject2.3.[2-3]? APIC problems with SMP PPro

I hadn't been using this Intel PR440FX motherboard in a while but when I booted
it up I don't seem to be able to use SMP mode. When a normal SMP kernel boots
then it locks solid after the PIIX3 detection but before the FDC detection.
No messages given.

When I boot the same kernel with the noapic option then it boots up normally
but freaks out somewhere after the scsi detection with some kind of an eternally
repeating APIC message that claims that "this shouldn't happen".

Any ideas? I haven't found a recent kernel I can boot SMP.

--
Matthew Harrell Any sufficiently advanced technology
Bit Twiddlers, Inc. is indistinguishable from a rigged