SubjectWeird printer lockups in 2.1.8x and .9x
Date
Hi,

this is really weird. In all recent kernels (I've tried 2.1.88, 2.1.89
and 2.1.91), my printer (HP Desjket 500) is locked up, even with
a simple `ls > /dev/lp0`. It's even that much locked up, that the
printers' keypad doesn't react any more. It's not possible to put
the printer off-line with its' keys !!.
And in my syslog, there's the message, that the lp0 is offline.
It is *definitely* not.

Just to add: I've compiled
* parallel printer support
* parport support
* pc-style parport

into the kernel.

Well, just for testing, I've compiled those three above as modules and took
them out of the kernel, and volia, I was able to use my printer again.

I don't have a clue, what is different, when I autoload those three modules
(without any additional parameters (!)) compared to having them in the kernel.

But well, I could live with that, I thougt. But then something really weird
happend: I booted back into 2.1.89, where the printer support (and parport
and pc-style parport) was in the kernel. And I was able to print !!!!
Two bootings before, it just locked my kernel, and now it works !!

The only thing, I've changed, is, that I didn't run the kernel daemon.
But that must make no difference, since in the 2.1.89 two boots before,
there were no modules autoloaded.

Anyone got a clue, what's going on here?

Ciao
Christoph

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.026 / U:0.116 seconds]