SubjectRe: Watch for new versions.
On Sat, 31 May 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 1997, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
> > For the sake of the site you're beating, please consider tuning it back to
> > once or twice a day by default.
>
> Well I have gotten pummelled via private email by a lot who think I have
> created some horrible crime.

You should very carefully consider what you do when you release something
that has the potential to direct a huge amount of unnecessary traffic at
someone.

> Fact is that the source allows a sleep() up to "size_t" (unsigned int)
> seconds so it can be checked once a year if you want.

Yes, but you stated in your post that it defaults to every hour. THIS is
what I attacked in your original statement; most people will not change a
default like that, simply because they will trust the developers judgement
on an "acceptable" time.

> FYI when I posted the message, I deleted xferlog on my server. I
> now have a file with 1,240 lines in it. Out of this, I would guess that
> 10 percent might try it. That's 124 hits per hour (or day or year). Not
> much. BTW, most of the downloads were from Europe.

That's 124 hits per hour, EVERY hour, that Transmeta didn't account for
yesterday. That's 2976 transfers per day, and is something that will very
likely increase as time goes by. We're not talking about web hits here;
this is a negotiated login and file transfer. Minor to you, but hey, it's
not your server.

Here's something for you to try: set up this system, running every hour,
on one of your systems. Then make a tool available to the public to query
YOUR server every hour. If you're willing to create a tool to generate
this much traffic (and in your own words, its "not much"), would you be
willing to point it at YOU instead of at ftp.kernel.org? This way, YOU
take the responsibility for the traffic you generate because of the
proliferation of your tool.

Some food for thought. If you're not willing to take the beating every
hour, who says that Transmeta is? But you haven't given them a choice. Did
you even consult with them before your release?

--
| Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@common.net> | CII Technical Administrator, |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.059 / U:0.236 seconds]