SubjectRe: Horrible things with 1.3.78
Date
Eric Youngdale once wrote:

> On Mar 26, 9:31pm, David Engel wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Horrible things with 1.3.78
> > > I surely hope that it will be possible to convince HJLu that
> > > the libc includes should be distributed together with a copy
> > > of the kernel includes, for some appropriate kernel version
> > > (preferably with the parts between #ifdef __KERNEL__ ... #endif
> > > stripped out) and an indication:
> > > this libc works with kernel version 1.4.0 and later.
> > >
> > > Imagine. No more symlinks. No more kernel source required on-line
> > > before one can translate something. No more programs that suddenly
> > > fail to translate, or show obscure bugs, after updating kernel source.
> >
> > You have my support. I suggested pretty much the same thing a few
> > weeks ago but nobody responded.
>
> This may help people who work on the library, but it would be a
> royal
> pain for people who hack the kernel. Consider that if you upgrade your
> kernel, you would have to remember to update your /usr/include tree
> before you could build it.

I think current solution is good for reducing number of bugs in kernel+libc.
Imagine what would happen if somebody changed a major structure, like stat
in the kernel but forget to update libc include files. Users won't be able
to either use old binaries or compile new ones and there is also a chance
that more subtle disperancies could go unnoticed for long time.

The real way to help novice users is to put together mini-distributions,
including kernel, libc and kernel-dependant packages like ppp, that have
been verified to work together.

--
Snow ^oo^ Cat <snowcat@math.CSUFresno.EDU>
_ -> <- aka Oleg Kibirev <oleg@math.CSUFresno.EDU>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.088 / U:0.036 seconds]