SubjectRe: Horrible things with 1.3.78
Date
 > > I surely hope that it will be possible to convince HJLu that
> > the libc includes should be distributed together with a copy
> > of the kernel includes, for some appropriate kernel version
> > (preferably with the parts between #ifdef __KERNEL__ ... #endif
> > stripped out) and an indication:
> > this libc works with kernel version 1.4.0 and later.
> >
> > Imagine. No more symlinks. No more kernel source required on-line
> > before one can translate something. No more programs that suddenly
> > fail to translate, or show obscure bugs, after updating kernel source.
>
> You have my support. I suggested pretty much the same thing a few
> weeks ago but nobody responded.

In an ideal world, I think it would be a great thing to do. It's not
been done before. (Remember, in traditional unix, /usr/include/sys is
a symlink into the kernel tree.)

Unfortunately, I don't think this is an accident, and I don't see it
being realistically possible to have the kernel includes be part of
libc.

Having the relevant kernel includes available separately would be
convenient for a lot of people. Linus?

--
- David A. Holland | Number of words in the English language that
dholland@hcs.harvard.edu | exist because of typos or misreadings: 381

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.048 / U:1.116 seconds]