SubjectRe: Horrible things with 1.3.78

Eric Youngdale:

: On Mar 26, 9:31pm, David Engel wrote:
: > Subject: Re: Horrible things with 1.3.78
: > > I surely hope that it will be possible to convince HJLu that
: > > the libc includes should be distributed together with a copy
: > > of the kernel includes, for some appropriate kernel version

: > You have my support. I suggested pretty much the same thing a few
: > weeks ago but nobody responded.

: This may help people who work on the library, but it would be a
: royal pain for people who hack the kernel. Consider that if you
: upgrade your kernel, you would have to remember to update your
: /usr/include tree before you could build it.

Eric, are you a kernel hacker? Surely you know that the kernel
is independent of the libc includes?

The failure of 1.3.78 may have caused some confusion,
but the kernel source is self-contained. Only the things
compiled by HOSTCC (like drivers/sound/configure, menuconfig etc.)
depend on the HOST gcc environment, but this host need not even
be a Unix system. Certainly it will not depend on recent Linux
features.

Andries

[PS Part of the failure of 1.3.78 was caused by the Makefile bug
HOSTCC =gcc -I$(HPATH)
instead of
HOSTCC =gcc
.]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.108 / U:0.356 seconds]