Subjectaha2842 and HP IIp scanner == lockup

I have recently attached a Hewlett Packard ScanJet IIp SCSI scanner to my
Adaptec 2842 VLB controller. I compiled the latest Linux kernel (as of
today it is 1.3.79) and the scanner is recognized on boot-up as /dev/sgd.

The whole machine locks solid when accessing the scanner only solved by a
cold boot. I have only tried one scanning program to access the scanner
so far as there was only on which seemed to be made specifically for the
hp scanner line. The program that I am using is hpscanpbm avaliable from
sunsite:

http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/graphics/scanners/

file hpscanpbm-0.3a.tar.gz

It accesses the scanner, the scanner starts scanning then about half way
accross the scanning bed the scanner stops and my machine locks solid.

My guess is that the problem is in either the program hpscanpbm, the
kernel's generic SCSI code or the aha2842 SCSI deriver. I have not tried
any of the older kernels (eg. 1.2.13).

I am not running the scan program SUID root and it still locks the
machine so my guess is that it may not be the scanning program but may be
either one of the other two possible code related areas.

Has any one else had experience with this or know of any fixes?

This is part of a larger project which our office is working on which will
enable text-to-tape coversion in a Unix envoronment similar to Arkenstone's
MS-Win based Openbook Unbound system but our version will be text based.

Here is the complete list of hardware:

Genoa VLB Motherboard
i486DX-66 Processor
32 meg ram
Dimond Stelth 64 VLB / 2meg vram video card (p9000 chipset)
Adaptec 2842 VLB SCSI II HD controller
2 FIREBALL1080S SCSI II HDs
128meg swap
Conner Model: CTMS 3200 QW 4gig SCSI II tape
2 - NE2000 (clones) ethernet cards
1 - 3.5 floopy

Caldera 1.0 Release

Kernel:
linux-1.3.79 compiled as ELF

--
Marc Christensen
SysOp CDSS University of Utah

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.022 / U:0.144 seconds]