SubjectCreative CDROM
Hello all:

Yes, I got the last mail about not posting here, but... I think the
problem I've encountered needs a bit of mentioning. Sorry if this problem
has been answered by a newer kernel or something...

The setup I have has the IDE CDROM on port 0x1e8, irq 11 (this is the
tertiary configuration). The kernel I'm using (1.2.11) doesn't support
this configuration: linux/drivers/block/ide.c only supports primary and
secondary IDE configs.

BUT: setting the SoundBlaster jumpers such that the CDROM is on port
0x170, irq 15 (secondary IDE) does not work; the DOS stuff works on the
tertiary config (but no Linux) but when setup as secondary, neither DOS
nor Linux works. I've figured out this is due to the internal PCI IDE
dingbat on the motherboard conflicting with the SB IDE. The motherboard PCI
IDE takes over by default the ide0 and ide1 slots, I tried disabling
ide1 from the BIOS so that the soundcard gets a change but apparently
the kernel reenables it or something (the /proc/devices file still
contains an ide1 entry).

A few of my questions now: a) do newer kernels allow more than two IDE
interfaces at a time? (DOS seems to handle it ok); b) can I modify ide.c
so that it checks the tertiary IDE at the expense of the secondary IDE?

Thanks for your patience,

Orlando A. Andico
oandico@balrog.eee.upd.edu.ph

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.013 / U:0.304 seconds]