SubjectRe: A minor error
On 23 Mar 96 at 17:53, Skunk Schouten wrote:

> Yes, this is a bug. It seems to happen when the keyboard spews things
> too fast for the kernel to handle. Unfortunately, with the more recent
> kernels, that means pressing the up and down arrow keys in the shell too
> fast gives me keyboard errors. Back down to 1.3.57, and I can hold the
> keys down and not get an error, with anything from about .65 to .76
> (haven't tried .77 yet, got a job and all) I have to sit and press keys
> one at a time. I am a lazy typist and make quite a bit of use of bash's
> command history......... With the newer kernels, it's useless, my screen

Did you know that you can do an incremental search on the history by
pressing ^R? You just shouldn't use an arrow key after it. BTW: Using
^P instead of cursor up will produce less load on your system ;-)

#ifdef TEACHING_MODE
I can remember times when pressing 'x' in vi took about three seconds
to produce visible effects. You did never use keyboard repeat; you
counted the characters to delete and entered "9x" instead. Slow modems are
a great device for teaching editors.
#endif

> fills up with Keyboard error and Socket destroy delayed, and I can't see
> what I'm doing. (:
>
> Skunky

> Jeff W. (Skunk) Schouten | Someday, when all the fighting ends we'll
> PFC, USMC (Ret.) | all realize just how stupid the things we
> skunky@skunky.atlcom.net | fight about are.
> skunky@netcom.com | The Skunk on the Information Superhighway
> (770)946-5709 (pager) | Don't beep if it's not important.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.024 / U:0.440 seconds]