SubjectRe: Regression with AX88179A: can't manually set MAC address anymore
From

On 06/09/2023 03:43, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 09:34:53PM +0200, Sergio Callegari wrote:
>> I mean that with kernel 5.15 I could use the in-tree module with some
>> glitches (interface occasionally stopping on teleconferencing) as well as
>> the indicated out of tree module with no glitches.
>>
>> With current kernels (certainly from 6.2 on) manually setting a MAC address
>> breaks the interface. Furthermore, even if it compiles and loads fine, it is
>> impossible to use the out of tree module because it does not create the eth
>> device anymore (the eth device now appears with the cdc_ncn module). Being
>> this an out of tree module, this is not very important, though.
> Then can you please file issue against your external module on that
> GH link?

Done, but as mentioned, out-of-tree implementations on GH are less
interesting than having the in-tree driver working properly.

So if the in-tree driver could be fixed to correctly support the manual
configuration of the hardware (MAC) address as it used to be that would
be the best. I hope that Andrew Lunn's hypothesis is correct, and that
cdc_ncm can be extended to work with AX88179A even when a manual MAC
addr is configured.

Thanks,

Sergio

  Last update: 2023-09-06 13:37    [W:0.082 / U:0.376 seconds]