SubjectRe: [RFC] KVM: x86: Allow userspace exit on HLT and MWAIT, else yield on MWAIT
On 9/23/23 09:22, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-09-22 at 14:00 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> To avoid races you need two flags though; there needs to be also a
>> kernel->userspace communication of whether the vCPU is currently in
>> HLT or MWAIT, using the "flags" field for example. If it was HLT only,
>> moving the mp_state in kvm_run would seem like a good idea; but not if
>> MWAIT or PAUSE are also included.
>
> Right. When work is added to an empty workqueue, the VMM will want to
> hunt for a vCPU which is currently idle and then signal it to exit.
>
> As you say, for HLT it's simple enough to look at the mp_state, and we
> can move that into kvm_run so it doesn't need an ioctl...

Looking at it again: not so easy because the mpstate is changed in the
vCPU thread by vcpu_block() itself.

> although it
> would also be nice to get an *event* on an eventfd when the vCPU
> becomes runnable (as noted, we want that for VSM anyway). Or perhaps
> even to be able to poll() on the vCPU fd.

Why do you need it? You can just use KVM_RUN to go to sleep, and if you
get another job you kick out the vCPU with pthread_kill. (I also didn't
get the VSM reference).

An interesting quirk is that kvm_run->immediate_exit is processed before
kvm_vcpu_block(), but TIF_SIGPENDING is processed afterwards. This
means that you can force an mpstate update with pthread_kill + KVM_RUN.
It's not going to be a speed demon, but it's worth writing a selftest
for it.

> But MWAIT (as currently not-really-emulated) and PAUSE are both just
> transient states with nothing you can really *wait* for, which is why
> they're such fun to deal with.

PAUSE is easier because it is just momentary and you stick it inside
what's already a busy wait. MWAIT is less fun because you don't really
want to busy wait.

Paolo

  Last update: 2023-09-23 11:26    [W:0.061 / U:0.180 seconds]