SubjectRe: drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/samsung-dsim.c link error
On Fri, Aug 4, 2023 at 4:47 AM Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:

> On 8/3/23 19:42, Adam Ford wrote:

> >> Aleksandr posted a link to the config file above.
> >
> > I get that, but I am not sure how this was generated.
> >

> Nor am I. Alexsandr can hopefully tell us.

We take a defconfig and apply a number of modifications on top of it
(*). Some configs are enabled (e.g. various sanitizers), some are
disabled (e.g. a number of heavy subsystems are disabled for instances
that run on qemu w/o hardware acceleration).

We rely heavily on olddefconfig to detect inconsistencies during
config generation (we regenerate them manually once in a while and the
tool makes sure our changes do not contradict KConfigs) and to
automatically correct inconsistencies when a kernel is being
(re-)built (there's no other way -- something constantly changes in
the mainline tree and it's impossible to keep track of it all
manually).

In this particular case, we indeed disabled CONFIG_GENERIC_PHY, but
left other dependent configs enabled and `make olddefconfig` could
unfortunately neither help us detect the problem nor resolve it during
the build :(

(*) FWIW here's a doc for reference:
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/dashboard/config/linux/README.md

> >> linux-next.

> >> Yes, this is not a defconfig file.
> >
> > I know, but it is a .config file that is generated from make defconfig
> > ARCH=arm64
> >>

> Not necessarily. It could be generated by 'make randconfig'.

> >> Sure, I'll do that.
> >
> > Great! thanks.

I see the patch has already been sent. Thank you very much!

> > adam
> >>
> >> --
> >> ~Randy
>
> --
> ~Randy

  Last update: 2023-08-04 12:20    [W:0.036 / U:0.268 seconds]