SubjectRe: Linux 6.3-rc3
Date
On Sat, 25 Mar 2023, Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@kernel.org> wrote:
> Hello Linus,
>

> Thanks for giving me some more homeworks.
>

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 1:56 AM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 9:40 AM Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > You have to pass `make LLVM=1` in any case... to `oldconfig` or when
>> > adding any MAKEFLAGS like -j${number-of-available-cpus}.
>>
>> I actually think we should look (again) at just making the compiler
>> choice (and the prefix) be a Kconfig option.
>>
>> That would simplify *so* many use cases.
>>
>> It used to be that gcc was "THE compiler" and anything else was just
>> an odd toy special case, but that's clearly not true any more.
>>
>> So it would be lovely to make the kernel choice a Kconfig choice - so
>> you'd set it only at config time, and then after that a kernel build
>> wouldn't need special flags any more, and you'd never need to play
>> games with GNUmakefile or anything like that.
>

> Presumably, this is the right direction.
>
> To achieve it, Kconfig needs to have some mechanism to evaluate
> shell commands dynamically.
>
> If a user switches the toolchain set between GCC and LLVM
> while running the Kconfig, $(cc-option) in Kconfig files must
> be re-calculated.
>
> Currently, Kconfig cannot do it. All macros are static - they are
> expanded in the parse stage, and become constant strings.
>
> Ulf Magnusson and I discussed the dynamic approach a few years back,
> but I adopted the static way since it is much simpler.
> We need to reconsider the dynamic approach to do this correctly.
> I do not think it is too difficult technically.
> We just need to come up with a decent syntax.

I acknowledge being clueless about mostly everything that requires. But
in the mean time, how about just adding something like:

-include .env

near the beginning of the top Makefile?

You could shove the tools or ARCH or output dir etc. there, so you don't
have to remember to add them on the command line every time.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center

  Last update: 2023-03-27 18:14    [W:0.106 / U:0.040 seconds]