SubjectRe: [RFC 0/4] Introduce unbalance proactive reclaim
From

在 2023/11/9 20:45, Michal Hocko 写道:
> [Some people who received this message don't often get email from mhocko@suse.com. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]
>
> On Thu 09-11-23 18:55:09, Huan Yang wrote:
>> 在 2023/11/9 17:53, Michal Hocko 写道:
>>> [Some people who received this message don't often get email from mhocko@suse.com. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

>>> Why don't you rely on the default reclaim heuristics? In other words do
>> As I mentioned earlier, the madvise approach may not be suitable for my
>> needs.
> I was asking about default reclaim behavior not madvise here.
Sorry for the misunderstand.

>>> you have any numbers showing that a selective reclaim results in a much
>> In the mobile field, we have a core metric called application residency.
> As already pointed out in other reply, make sure you explain this so
> that we, who are not active in mobile field, can understand the metric,
> how it is affected by the tooling relying on this interface.
OK.

>> This mechanism can help us improve the application residency if we can
>> provide a good freeze detection and proactive reclamation policy.
>>
>> I can only provide specific data from our internal tests, and it may
>> be older data, and it tested using cgroup v1:
>>
>> In 12G ram phone, app residency improve from 29 to 38.
> cgroup v1 is in maintenance mode and new extension would need to pass
> even a higher feasibility test than v2 based interface. Also make sure
> that you are testing the current upstream kernel.
OK, if patchset v2 expect, I will change work into cgroup v2 and give
test data.

> Also let me stress out that you are proposing an extension to the user
> visible API and we will have to maintain that for ever. So make sure
> your justification is solid and understandable.
Thank you very much for your explanation. Let's focus on these
discussions in
another email.

--
Thanks,
Huan Yang

  Last update: 2023-11-20 13:54    [W:0.083 / U:0.260 seconds]