SubjectRe: [RFC] mm/kasan: Add Allocation, Free, Error timestamps to KASAN report
From
On 2023/10/30 18:10, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 at 10:28, Juntong Deng <juntong.deng@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Juntong,
>>>
>>> There is also an aspect of memory consumption. KASAN headers increase
>>> the size of every heap object. So we tried to keep them as compact as
>>> possible. At some point CPU numbers and timestamps (IIRC) were already
>>> part of the header, but we removed them to shrink the header to 16
>>> bytes.
>>> PID gives a good approximation of potential races. I usually look at
>>> PIDs to understand if it's a "plain old single-threaded
>>> use-after-free", or free and access happened in different threads.
>>> Re timestamps, I see you referenced a syzbot report. With syzkaller
>>> most timestamps will be very close even for non-racing case.
>>> So if this is added, this should be added at least under a separate config.
>>>
>>> If you are looking for potential KASAN improvements, here is a good list:
>>> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&component=Sanitizers&list_id=1134168&product=Memory%20Management
>>
>> Hi Dmitry,
>>
>> I think PID cannot completely replace timestamp for reason similar to
>> CPU number, some frees really should be done in another thread, but it
>> is difficult for us to distinguish if it is a free that was done some
>> time ago, or under subtle race conditions.
>
> I agree it's not a complete replacement, it just does not consume
> additional memory.
>
>> As to whether most of the timestamps will be very close even for
>> non-racing case, this I am not sure, because I do not have
>> enough samples.
>>
>> I agree that these features should be in a separate config and
>> the user should be free to choose whether to enable them or not.
>>
>> We can divide KASAN into normal mode and depth mode. Normal mode
>> records only minimal critical information, while depth mode records
>> more potentially useful information.
>>
>> Also, honestly, I think a small amount of extra memory consumption
>> should not stop us from recording more information.
>>
>> Because if someone enables KASAN for debugging, then memory consumption
>> and performance are no longer his main concern.
>
> There are a number of debugging tools created with the "performance
> does not matter" attitude. They tend to be barely usable, not usable
> in wide scale testing, not usable in canaries, etc.
> All of sanitizers were created with lots of attention to performance,
> attention on the level of the most performance critical production
> code (sanitizer code is hotter than any production piece of code).
> That's what made them so widely used. Think of interactive uses,
> smaller devices, etc. Please let's keep this attitude.

Yes, I agree that debugging tools used at a wide scale need to have
more rigorous performance considerations.

Do you think it is worth using the extra bytes to record more
information? If this is a user-configurable feature.

  Last update: 2023-10-30 12:35    [W:0.161 / U:0.140 seconds]