SubjectRe: Expected rdpmc behavior during context swtich and a RISC-V conundrum
On Fri, Jan 6, 2023 at 4:02 AM Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 11:59:24AM -0800, Atish Patra wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > There was a recent uabi update[1] for RISC-V that allows the users to
> > read cycle and instruction count without any checks.
> > We tried to restrict that behavior to address security concerns
> > earlier but it resulted in breakage for some user space
> > applications[2].
> > Thus, previous behavior was restored where a user on RISC-V platforms
> > can directly read cycle or instruction count[3].
> >
> > Comparison with other ISAs w.r.t user space access of counters:
> > ARM64
> > -- Enabled/Disabled via (/proc/sys/kernel/perf_user_access)
> > -- Only for task bound events configured via perf.
> >
> > X86
> > --- rdpmc instruction
> > --- Enable/Disable via “/sys/devices/cpu/rdpmc”
> > -- Before v4.0
> > -- any process (even without active perf event) rdpmc
> > After v4.0
> > -- Default behavior changed to support only active events in a
> > process’s context.
> > -- Configured through perf similar to ARM64
> > -- Continue to maintain backward compatibility for unrestricted access
> > by writing 2 to “/sys/devices/cpu/rdpmc”
> >
> > IMO, RISC-V should only enable user space access through perf similar
> > to ARM64 and x86 (post v4.0).
> > However, we do have to support the legacy behavior to avoid
> > application breakage.
> > As per my understanding a direct user space access can lead to the
> > following problems:
> >
> > 1) There is no context switch support, so counts from other contexts are exposed
> > 2) If a perf user is allocated one of these counters, the counter
> > value will be written
> >
> > Looking at the x86 code as it continues to allow the above behavior,
> > rdpmc_always_available_key is enabled in the above case. However,
> > during the context switch (cr4_update_pce_mm)
> > only dirty counters are cleared. It only prevents leakage from perf
> > task to rdpmc task.
> >
> > How does the context switch of counters work for users who enable
> > unrestricted access by writing 2 to “/sys/devices/cpu/rdpmc” ?
> > Otherwise, rdpmc users likely get noise from other applications. Is
> > that expected ?
>
> Regardless of leakage, they're also going to get random jumps in the visible
> values of the cycle count and instruction count as the task is context-switched
> (and/or if those values get reset across idle, as can happen on arm64), so
> those aren't going to be useful unless a number of other constraints apply.

Agreed.

> AFAICT the affected package was actually a library of intrinsics; does this
> affect a real application, or was this just in tests? If it's the latter there
> might still be scope to properly lock this down...

Unfortunately, there are real applications In RISC-V started using
cycle counters due to legacy reasons.

Here is the short list from debian repo pointed out in [1]
https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=%22rdcycle+%250%22

Looking at aarch64 code in one of the application, it seems they rely
on reading "pmccntr_el0" to read time
https://sources.debian.org/src/chromium/108.0.5359.124-1/third_party/ffmpeg/libavutil/aarch64/timer.h/

AFAIK, any counter access from EL0 is disabled by default in
reset_pmuserenr_el0 and should be enabled via the
proc/sys/perf_user_access
in armv8pmu_enable_user_access. Is that correct ?

I couldn't find any application actually enabling the access using
perf_user_access. Maybe I am missing something?
Otherwise, the above application would trap on access to pmccntr_el0.

[1] https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/g/sw-dev/c/REWcwYnzsKE?pli=1

--
Regards,
Atish

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:32    [W:0.081 / U:0.748 seconds]