SubjectRe: [RFC] Sound support for Huawei line of AMD laptops using ACP and ES8336 codec
From
On 1/7/2023 00:58, Reddy, V sujith kumar wrote:
> Hi Marian,
>
> Thanks for the query.
>
> On 1/7/2023 12:17 AM, Marian Postevca wrote:
>> I have a Huawei Matebook 14 AMD 2021 laptop for which the sound isn't
>> supported on Linux. On further investigation in Windows and ACPI tables
>> I could determine that this particular SKU has an ES8336 codec connected
>> to the CPU ACP module.
>> The CPU of my laptop is an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U which seems to be codenamed
>> Lucienne and is a derivation of the Renoir family.
>> Acording to lspci the ACP is revision 1:
>>
>> 03:00.5 Multimedia controller [0480]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor [1022:15e2] (rev 01)
>> Subsystem: Device [1e83:3e4d]
>> Kernel driver in use: snd_rn_pci_acp3x
>> Kernel modules: snd_pci_acp3x, snd_rn_pci_acp3x, snd_pci_acp5x,
>> snd_pci_acp6x, snd_acp_pci, snd_rpl_pci_acp6x,
>> snd_sof_amd_renoir
>>
>> I have written a machine driver for this platform and managed to make
>> the sound and internal microphone work. I am looking to integrate this
>> support but there are some issues with the current implementation of ACP
>> support.
>>
>> As far as I can tell there are 4 directions I could take to add support:
>>
>> 1. A standalone machine driver in sound/soc/amd that uses the platform
>> drivers from sound/soc/amd/raven/
>>
>> 2. An embedded driver in sound/soc/amd/acp/acp-legacy-mach.c
>>
>> 3. A standalone machine driver in sound/soc/amd that uses the platform
>> drivers from sound/soc/amd/renoir
>>
>> 4. Use the SOF infrastructure
>>
>> Now as far as I can tell, all of these directions have issues:
>>
>> 1. The pci driver from sound/soc/amd/raven/pci-acp3x.c doesn't support Lucienne
>> since it blocks rev 1 devices in :
>>
>> /* Raven device detection */
>> if (pci->revision != 0x00)
>> return -ENODEV;
>>
>> This is the approach I took and just changed the check to add support
>> for rev 1.
>> The sound and internal microphone worked ok and I didn't encounter any
>> issues with it. Of course I don't know the internals of ACP and
>> don't know what are the differences between rev 0 and rev 1.
>

> Not recommended
>
>> 2. This approach could work but I would need to change the structure
>> acp_card_drvdata and struct snd_soc_dapm_widget acp_widgets,
>> to add proper support for jack handling (and maybe some other
>> modifications).
>> This driver seems to support rev 1 (in sound/soc/amd/acp/acp-pci.c):
>>
>> switch (pci->revision) {
>> case 0x01:
>> chip->name = "acp_asoc_renoir";
>> chip->acp_rev = ACP3X_DEV;
>> break;
>>
>> Also from the module description it seems that these drivers are
>> meant only for chromebook support.
>

> Recommended. Please add below code
>
> {
> .flags = FLAG_AMD_LEGACY,
> .device = ACP_PCI_DEV_ID,
> [...]

Just a guess here without seeing the error. Is this perhaps because the
SOF F/W binary that was loaded was not signed with signature trusted by
the platform and the platform required validation?

SOF on AMD was first introduced for Chromebooks which don't use the same
authority for firmware binary verification that general purpose UEFI
notebooks would use.

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:33    [W:0.072 / U:0.192 seconds]