SubjectRe: RFC on drivers/memory vs drivers/edac memory mapping for DDR Controller
From
On 03/01/2023 14:12, Shenhar, Talel wrote:

> On 1/2/2023 6:25 PM, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know the content is safe.

>>> You are right.
>>>
>>> Let me elaborate on this.
>>>
>>> We will write down the hardware description via device tree.
>>>
>>> Then we will write the driver which will honor that binding.
>>>
>>> So the question is what is the best practice there assuming there is no
>>> shared registers however there is overlapping.
>> The correct solution is to describe hardware. The hardware is memory
>> controller. There is no hardware called "scaller of memory controller".
>> There is no hardware called "EDAC" because that's purely a Linux term.
>>
>> Your DTS should accurately describe the hardware, not drivers. Then
>> drivers can do whatever they want with it - have safe, non-concurrent
>> access or keep poking same registers and break things...
>
> The way the HW shall be described in DT is tightly coupled to the way
> the drivers will work on mapping the IO addresses.

No, that's not true and such DT description will get probably Rob's or
mine comments. The HW shall be described without tying to one, specific
driver implementation. Otherwise why do you make it tightly coupled to
Linux, but ignore BSD, firmware and bootloaders?

Don't tightly couple DT with your drivers.

> There are 3 ways to describe the HW as far as I see it from address
> point of view: (actually 2 as option 3 is not really sane)
>
> 1) one big chunk of registers
>
> 2) smaller chunk of registers aiming to have each chunk describe a
> subset of the HW capablity (e.g. RAS, e.g. Refresh-rate, ...)
>
> 3) describe each register with its name
>
> Each option dictate how driver shall map the address space.

Again, the driver does not matter. You have one device, describe
properly one device. DT is not to describe drivers.

You did not Cc relevant here mailing addresses (DT and Rob), so this
discussion might miss their feedback.

How the drivers map IO address space is independent question and should
not determine the hardware description. You want to say that hardware
changes depending on OS? One OS means hardware is like that and on other
OS it's different?

> If option 1 is chosen, then we shall have 2 drivers with same reg
> description.

Drivers are not related to DT bindings and DTS. Two different things.

> For that case, they can both remap the whole space or each one can try
> to map only the section it needs.
>
> If option 2 is chosen, then each driver can use DT to know exactly what
> it needs to map and do it in safer manner.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:25    [W:0.081 / U:1.312 seconds]