SubjectRe: RFC on drivers/memory vs drivers/edac memory mapping for DDR Controller

On 1/2/2023 3:43 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> On Mon, Jan 02, 2023 at 02:17:24PM +0200, Shenhar, Talel wrote:
>> * We want to introduce driver that reads DDR controller RAS register and
>> notify for ECC errors by using EDAC MC API found in drivers/edac.
>> * We also want to have a capability to dynamically change DDR refresh rate
>> based on thermal values (best to be done in drivers/memory ?).
> Is there any particular reason to want to report the errors through EDAC?
>
> Or can't you simply read the RAS register in your memory driver and dump error
> info from there so that you have a single driver that does it all?

Doesn't it go against the MC EDAC concept...?

Reinventing the wheel is something that usually doesn't end well. (I
could probably list them but guess that as the EDAC maintainer you can
do it better than me :)  )

I would probably consider the other way around - take the refresh-rate
driver inside the MC driver as the refresh-rate does not use any
"memory" framework under drivers/memory.

> --
> Regards/Gruss,
> Boris.
>
> https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:25    [W:0.087 / U:0.652 seconds]